- Is this for me?
- How does it work?
- What should we pray for?
- How long should we pray?
- How do I fill out the “Sign Up” form?
- When can we sign up?
- How far in advance do we need to sign up?
- How can I get my church involved and spread the news of this initiative?
- I have a different question
Is this for me?
A YEAR OF PRAYER FOR BARNET is an opportunity for Christians of all denominations to join together in prayer with a common purpose. It is our vision that church home groups, prayer groups and gatherings throughout Barnet that believe in God as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit will commit to various dates throughout the year.
How does it work?
- Fill out the form on the sign up page to send your details and commit to pray. This could be for a day, a week, or on a recurring basis.
- When we receive your request, we will update the public calendar.
- You will receive an event invitation (if you asked for one) for your own calendar when the public calendar has been updated, and a reminder nearer the time (if you want one).
- On the day your group has committed to pray, get together and pray for Barnet, focussing on all four of the areas of prayer mentioned on our home page.
- Keep up to date with local prayer events by checking out our events page.
What should we pray for?
There are four areas we ask you to pray into during your time of prayer:
- To foster church unity. ‘So in Christ we, though many, form one body and each member belongs to all the others.’ (Rom 12:5)
- To inspire, encourage and refresh God’s people. ‘God is able to bless you abundantly so that in all things at all times, having all that you need you will abound in every good work.’ (2 Cor 9:8)
- To spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. ‘Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of God is near.’ (Matt 4:17)
- To see our community flourish. ‘If you are pure and upright, even now he will rouse himself on your behalf and restore you to your prosperous state.’ (Job 8:6)
How long should we pray?
It’s up to you! All prayer commitments are automatically set to a whole day on our calendar, but you could choose to pray together for 10 minutes or for 10 hours (or more!). Our expectation is that for each of the 386 days that make up this YEAR OF PRAYER FOR BARNET there will be Christians seeking God for the community of Barnet, pressing in to the four areas of prayer listed above.
How do I fill out the ‘sign up’ form?
“Which church(es) do you represent?”
This is just so that we can see which churches are taking part and encourage the community by the number of churches coming together to pray for the area. In this field type the name, or names, of the churches represented by the group who will be praying. It could be one church, or many – please list them all.
Just remember that any information disclosed in this field may be displayed publicly in the calendar, so please make sure you have permission before disclosing any personal information.
“Who will be praying?”
This will be the name displayed on the calendar. In this field type in the name of your small group, prayer group or gathering, for example, eg ‘Thursday Home Group’ or your names, eg ‘Bob, Bill and Barry’ or it could simply be your church name, eg ‘The Stable, High Barnet’.
Just remember that whatever name you provide will be displayed publicly in the calendar, so please make sure you have permission before disclosing any personal information.
“Which date(s) are you committing to pray?”
This could either be a date, eg “3rd January 2019” or “3/1/19”, or it could be a recurring occasion, eg “the first Thursday of every month”. In this field type the days you are committing to pray.
You can submit this form as many times as you like – if you’d like to commit to pray on more than one occasion, you’re welcome to sign up as many times as you’d like.
“Would you like to receive an invitation for your own calendar?”
If you tick “yes” you will receive an invitation, via email, to add a reminder of your prayer commitment into your own calendar on your computer or phone.
If you tick “no” you will receive no communication from us, and will have to remember the date you have committed to, or check back after a few days to check the public calendar.
“Would you like to be sent a reminder of your prayer commitment?”
If you tick a “yes” option: ‘Yes’ options include ‘One Week Before’, ‘Two Days Before’ and ‘One Day Before’. For any of these options, you will receive a notification, through your calendar event, reminding you of the date you have committed to pray, either one week, two days, or one day before the event, depending on the option you choose. You will only receive a reminder if you have selected “yes” for the previous option – to receive an event invitation.
If you tick “do not send me a reminder” you will not receive a reminder from us, but you will be able to check the public calendar.
When can we sign up?
You can sign up from 1 May 2018 until 8 June 2019.
How far in advance do we need to sign up?
As this is a volunteer-run initiative, please allow time for us to process your sign-up before it appears on the calendar. We would recommend allowing at least a week before the date you would like to commit to if you would like reminders – however you can pray for Barnet on any day of the year!
You can also use the “sign up” form to inform us of a date in the past that your group got to gather to pray for Barnet. The calendar is merely a tool to encourage the community of local churches of the movement of prayer taking place in Barnet.
How can I get my church involved and spread the news of this initiative?
The best way to get your church involved is, of course, to tell them! Share this website on social media, or with your prayer chain, small group or prayer triplet – whatever it is that you do at your church.
You could also work with your church leader to spread awareness of this initiative by adding a page to your church website all about A YEAR OF PRAYER FOR BARNET. For more information about how to Partner Your Church in this way, click here.
My question isn’t here…
If you have a question that isn’t listed here, please use our contact form by clicking the button below: